Prom season is almost here! (Woohoo!) Many girls see Prom as one of the most important moments of their life. As a makeup artist helping these girls get ready for a highlight moment here's a few of my tips if you're either doing your own makeup or if you're going to get your makeup done...
1. Reference photos! These are one of the best things to have when you're preparing for Prom. It's good to have multiple ideas of what you might want to have done, but that doesn't mean you stop looking! As Prom gets close begin the process of elimination. You can always combine ideas from various photos for what you want as well. Usually the more photos the better but try not to overwhelm yourself or the artist doing your makeup.
2. Test run! I am not one to usually have a test run for makeup, even before I do my Youtube videos, I get too excited and impatient. However, when it's a big event such as Prom or a wedding test runs are in my opinion very important. Especially if you're going to be trying out new products. Find the perfect false lashes that will be comfortable and look great, or that foundation that you've been dying to try for a special event. Do a test of different makeup looks that you might want to wear for Prom and see what looks best with your dress/accessories/hair color, etc.
3. Be Bold! Don't be afraid to try something new such as a fun lip color or super glittery eyeshadow. Get together with your friends and/or family, play around with new makeup looks and get their opinion. Don't be offended if someone gives a negative opinion about something you want to try with your makeup choice. That's why test runs are so great! Whether it looks good on you or not just have fun with it for the moment.
4. Don't panic! If you're going to get your makeup done or doing it yourself be prepared. Make sure you have all the tools and products you need BEFORE it's time for you to get ready. Last thing you need is to rush around getting ready. If you're doing your own makeup and you're not comfortable with something find someone who can do it for you. For example lip liner or a winged liner, if that's not in your comfort area but your friend or family member is- Snag them! I'm sure they would love to help you get ready, so stay calm!
5. Trust! If you're going to get your makeup done by someone else make sure you check out their work! It's ok to look around for a makeup artist, whether it be a freelancer, someone in a store or salon. You can always do trials if you have the time/money and don't be afraid to go to other artists to see who works the best with you. If you're paying for any kind of service make sure it's what you want done.
6. Have fun! Lots of stress is put on Prom, it's not worth it. I kept it very simple when I went to Prom, I got a simple but still want I wanted kind of a dress, I did my own makeup and nails (glue on's baby!) and my mom did my hair for me. I don't handle stress the best so I tried to keep things as simple as possible. That is probably my best piece of advice- do your best to have a great time no matter what and don't freak out before hand! Plans may change or you may get a tear in your dress, you could get in a fight with a friend or your date, or you forgot where you put your lipstick, don't stress over it. No matter what the issue is it will get worked out or it can be fixed. Prom is a highlight moment, enjoy it. Take pictures but not too many where you forget to have fun! ;) Dance your butt off (or don't) whatever will make you have the most fun you can.
I hope this blog post was worth the read, feel free to message/email me with any comments/questions/requests! Thanks for taking the time to read this post!